Best Guitar Stool for Practice & Playing
We're looking at the Best guitar stool for practice and playing that you can buy!
As a guitar player, the most important part of improving your playing and performance lies in the art of practice. We all know the famous saying goes something like, "practice makes perfect" right? But, many guitarists are put off by practice. the reason for being put off by practice does not lie in the act of playing guitar but rather the fact that practice can be taxing on the body. The way we sit, hold the guitar, hold the guitar pick all require proper technique and you can stunt your guitar playing by not learning proper playing and practice technique. By making a few small adjustments to one's practice routine and adding a guitar stool, you can drastically improve your guitar playing at a much quicker pace.
What's the use in a guitar stool?
By using the wrong stool to practice guitar, you can do physical damage to your spine and it can completely ruin the way you play guitar. Introducing a proper guitar stool will minimize any physical damage and risk and will accelerate your improvement on the instrument as well as make practice more comfortable and enjoyable.
The characteristics of the Best guitar stool
- First and foremost the best guitar stool will be adjustable in height. This is important because everyone is a different height so setting the guitar stool to the correct height is very important. If the stool is adjusted to a low level, the guitar will be too close to your knees. If the stool is adjusted too high you can throw your balance off track.
- Secondly, the best guitar stools don't have arms or anything else that can get in the way.
- Lastly, but not always included is a guitar foot stool as part of the chair
The sturdier the better
You will need a guitar stool that is sturdy. What does this mean exactly? It means that the stool stays in place and does not move around while you're playing on it. A guitar stool that moves around is no good but more importantly, a guitar stool that is soft and comfortable to sit on, is of greater importance.
At the end of the day, the guitar stool needs to be comfortable otherwise what is the point? After All, the guitar stool will spend many hours keeping your butt and back comfortable so why not make sure it's the best!
Back rest or No Back rest, that is the question?
You can get guitar stools with or without a backrest however this does not make or break your decision as it comes down to personal preference and taste. Your posture as a guitar player should always be straight and up right so make sure that if you choose a back rest, it is for for the right reasons and not to slouch.
Most important thing to look for in a Guitar Stool?
The first and only thing you should be concerned about is quality because the stool is going to be carrying you through practice and or performance so rather invest the money in a better guitar stool than have to pay the consequences physically or financially by replacing them.
We've done the hard work for you and compiled a list of the best guitar stools you can buy.
1) GATOR FRAMEWORKS GUITAR STOOL (GFW-GTR-SEAT)
Gator kicks off this list with their amazing guitar stool and guitar stand in one. Features of this incredible stool include:
- A guitar stand is built in fits acoustic guitar, electric guitars and bass guitar
- The stand is made from rubber and will do no damage to your instrument
- The stool is foldable for easy transportation and storage with minimal space
- Soft padding for comfortable sitting and practice
- Removeable back rest that is easy to add or take away.
- Foot rest
- Handles up to 300 pounds of weight
This guitar stool has all the bells and whistles and is one of the best guitar stools on the market. It includes a great safety feature which are red rings around the foot of the stool to prevent any accidents that can occur especially in a live setting.
The only downside to this guitar stool is that it is not height adjustable which for some can be a deal breaker. However, this is still a really good guitar stool.
2) Alfred StagePlayer Guitar Stool & Stand
here is another guitar stool and stand in one and this particular one by Alfred is in direct competition with the Gator stool above. While this guitar stool is not as good as the Gator stool above, it is still great for those looking for a chair on a budget. This still also features many of those seen in the Gator guitar stool.
Some features of the Alfred Stageplayer Guitar stool include:
- It has a built in guitar stand that can be folded back when not in use
- A footrest is included as part of the stool
- The guitar stool fold up for easy portability and space saving storage
- Does not require any assembling and does not contain any loose parts that could be lost.
Some cons of the Alfred guitar stool are:
- The stool is not height adjustable
- Does not include a back rest
- lacks comfortable padding
3) On Stage Guitar Stool (DT8500)
This is one of the best stool money can buy and it has been designed to suit guitarists as well as keyboard players. With that in mind, the most comfortable and optimum sitting position can easily be achieved with this highly adjustable stool.
Some features of the On Stage guitar stool include:
- High quality padding on the seat
- The stool includes a removeable backrest which can be moved up or down.
- The backrest includes the same thick padding as the seat
- It features a footrest with padding
- The seat is height adjustable from 21 to 31 inches
- The stool can also be adjusted back and forth
Some cons to the On Stage guitar stool include:
- Setting the stool up is not as quick as some others
- Footrest is not adjustable
4) Taylor Guitar Stool
Taylor are best known for their expensive acoustic guitars. however, here they have ventured out and created a guitar stool to go with your Taylor guitar.
These types of guitar stools are often advertised as bar stools however they are in fact designed to be used as guitar stools.
The Taylor guitar stool includes the following features:
- 24 inch seat with Taylor branded logo
- The seat swivels and is comfrotably padded
- A ring has been added as a footrest
- Very sturdy
Some cons to the Taylor guitar stool:
- these guitar stools are not meant to be transported and thus are heavy
- They are not height adjustable
5) Pyle Guitar Stool (PKST70)
The Pyle guitar stool is in direct competition with the On Stage stool featrued above. For this reason, It is very hard to seperate th two in terms of difference. However, the biggest difference is that the Pyle has a rectangular shaped seat whilst the On Stage stool has a round seat.
Features of the Pyle guitar stool include:
- Includes a footrest which is adjustable
- An adjustable backrest is included and can easily be removed
- The height of the stool is adjustable
- Comfortable padding has been added to the seat and backrest
- Folds easily for protability and storage
Some cons of the Pyle stool include:
- The seat is not adjustable to move back and forth, only up or down
6) ROC-N-SOC Guitar Stool
The ROC-N-SOC guitar stool is on the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to price. However, the stool does not deliver when you take into account the features it has and then the price you'd pay for it.
Having said that, the ROC-N-SOC guitat still very comfortable to sit on and can withstand hours of practicing. It is also a very ergonomically designed stool is available in a short or a tall version. The tall version is 29 inches and the short version is 26 inches.
Some features of the ROC-N-SOC include:
- Swivel Seat
- Moulded motorbike-like seat (very comfortable!)
- 2 footrests in the form of a ring
- Exceptionally sturdy
Some cons of the ROC-N-SOC are:
- Not height adjustable (you have to buy the higher or lower model if you want a different height)
- No backrest
7) Quick Lok DX749
The Quick Lok guitar stool is another great chair for live and for practic. It is on the higher end of the spectrum in terms of price however, you get what you pay for. This guitar stool is no doubt the best guitar stool you can get.
The Quick Lok is packed with features and is definitely worth forking out the extra money for it.
The Quick Lok guitar stool has the following features:
- A padded footrest is included that is height adjustable
- There is also padded backrest which is adjustable up or down
- The height of the guitar stool is also adjustable
- The chair can withstand a great amount of weight
Some cons of the Quick Lok include:
- The backrest is only height adjustable and you are not able to adjust the angle of the backrest
8) K&M Performance Guitar Stool
K&M have come out with a very easy to use guitar stool that has been ergonomically designed so that you can do more guitar playing comfortably. Mechanically, this K&M stool is also one of the easiest stools to use and set up.
The features of the K&M Guitar Stool Include:
- A padded footrest is included.
- The footrest can be height adjusted using a spring loading system
- The height of the seat can also be adjusted in the same way whilst you are sitting
- The frame is made from high quality steel
- The seat is made from leather and is padded well
- The guitar stool folds up easily for space saving keeping and easy transportation/maneuverability
The only con of the K&M stool is:
- It does not include a backrest
9) Rockville Guitar Stool (RDS40)
The Roclville guitar stool comes with an insane amount of features considering its exceptionally reasonable price. It packs the same punches in terms of features that many of the best guitar stool in the list have however, it is almost half the price!
Features of the Rockville stool include:
- The seat is height adjustable at five different levels from 21 inches up to 30 inches
- Includes a backrest that can be removed
- A footrest has been included
- Folds up easily for great storage and easy transportation
- A padded seat is included that is perfectly suitable for long hours of performing
- Requires no tools for set up
Some cons of the Rockville guitar stool are:
- The foot rest is not height adjustable
10) Adjustrite Guitar Stool & Musicians Chair
This stool was not just designed for guitar playing but was in fact manufactured to suit all musicians needing a chair/stool. This includes cello players, trumpet players, sax players, piano players etc.
The Adjustrite guitar stool has the following features:
- Includes a padded backrest
- The backrest helps improve posture for optimum guitar/instrument playing
- The guitar stool is height adjustable
- The height is adjustable on each leg of the chair using buttons which go up or down in increments of 1 inch
- This means you can set the chair to slant in certains positions should you wish
- The stool can fold up into a compact shape for transporting and for storing.
Some cons of the Adjustrite guitar stool include:
- The stool does not have a footrest, a separate footrest would need to be purchased.
- The backrest is relatively low and cannot be adjusted
11) "The Original Guitar Stool"
Many of the guitar stools featured in this list have been designed to accommodate other instruments as well. however, this stool has been specifically designed by a physical therapist, for guitar playing. This means that ergonomics of the most important design factor of this guitar stool.
The features of the Original guitar stool include:
- Ergonomically designed specifically for the guitar player reduces fatigue on the back
- A cut-away has been made so that the guitar player can position his/her leg properly
- The seat is padded and is comfotable for hours of playing
- The stool is foldable and can be stored and transported easily
- The guitar stool is handcrafted
Some downsides to the Original guitar stool include:
- The stool is not height adjustable however there are three height options available
- 17 Inch
- 19 Inch
- 21 Inch
- No footrest is included
12) Yamaha Guitar Stool (PKBB1)
THis is a Yamaha stool that is actually meant for keyboard and/or paino. however, many guitar players have begun using these as they inexpensive and easy to move around.
These stools are great for performances however for long hours of poractice, it lacks the features that a proper guitar stool should have.
Features of this Yamaha Guitar stool include:
- Comfortable, highly padded and wide seat
- 3 Height adjustment levels
- 17.5 inch
- 18.5 inch
- 19.5 inch
- Can be folded up and set up exceptionally easy
- Takes up very little space
- Fantastic value for money
Some cons of the Yamaha stool include:
- Does not include a backrest
- Has no footrest
- Lacks the height adjustments options
With all of that being said, you definitely get the best bang for your buck with this seat.
13) Fender Custom Shop Guitar Stool
This Fender guitar stool is in a similar vein to the Taylor stool featured above in this list. The way in which they are similar is that they look really cool but lack the features to make them great for hours of practicing.
For the price, you still get a really awesome guitar stool.
Features of this Fender custom shop guitar stool include:
- 24 Inch padded seat
- Fender Custom Shop printed on seat
- Tube footrest
Some downsides and cons to the Fender guitar stool are:
- Does not include a backrest
- The footrest is not adjustable
- The chair itself is not height adjustable
- requires tools to assemble
- This stool is not portable as it does not fold up
14) D'addario Wooden Guitar Stool
Not much can be mentioned about the D'addario guitar stool as it is bare bones and stripped down. It's a really cool guitar stool but it is not recomended for hours of practicing or performing.
It has no padding so don't expect a comfortable seat however, the stool is made in USA so it is of the highest quality and is exceptioanlly sturdy.
It also cannot be adjusted at all so one size fits all is the case with this stool. It does however have a footrest which is pretty cool.
15) Gibraltar Guitar Throne (9608MB)
This Gibraltar stool is actually a drum stool however, it can definitely be used as a guitar stool for practicing and for performing.
Features of the Gibraltar guitar stool are:
- Motorcycle style seat
- Highly padded and comfortable
- Includes a backrest
- Height adjustable using a memory lock system
- The stool is exceptionally sturdy as it boasts three bug rubber feet to keep it solidly planted on the ground.
Some cons of the Gibraltar guitar stool are:
- The stool has been optimised for drummers and thus guitar is not the fiurst choice
- No footrest is included
Concluding the Best Guitar Stool
After reading this you should be pretty geared up towards buying the best guitar stool. Ultimately, the best guitar stool for you will be the one that ticks all the boxes in terms of what you are looking for. If you are not sure here is a summary of the main features to look out for when buying the best guitar stool:
- Comfortable (Remember, you'll spend many hours sitting on it practicing)
- Height adjustable
- Angle adjustable
- Extra guitar stand