Curly Guitar Cables
You've probably seen Jimi Hendrix or any other band from the 60's or 70's sporting what looks like a curly lock of hair as their guitar cable.Curly cables get a tough time by gearheads all around the world. They've been known to cause many problems (especially the vintage one's) and such have been fashioned out since the 70's to a point where straight cables rule the world now.There are plenty of reasons for this. The biggest reason is perhaps that there's more cable for the same distance which will increase resistance and thus affect the tone. Luckily we live in the 21st century and many companies have found ways to improve the curly cable and there are some fantastic one's on the market.
But for now, you're here because you want to buy an epic curly cable. And we're here to give you a list of the best curly guitar cables on the market.One general rule of thumb I like to go by when buying guitar cables is that if the price of the cable is expensive, you can usually expect a high quality cable. Cheaper ones tend to break and that is the reality. I have however had a very cheap cable last me for over 10 years so you never really know.
1) Ernie Ball Coil Cable
Ernie Ball as most guitarists know, are very famous for their guitar strings and are by far one of the most popular guitar string brands in the world. However, only recently did Ernie Ball broaden their horizons by coming out with some epic guitar accessories. Perhaps the accessory that produced the most buzz was the Ernie Ball coil cable.
These cables are immensely good and for their price, you simply can't go wrong. They're resistant to tangling and give you a silent and clear guitar signal every time you plug in with no unwanted noise.
Features of the Ernie Ball Curly Cable include:
- Choice between black or white
- Resistant to tangling
- Cancels unwanted noise
- 30 foot long
- Shielded twice to improve the durability of the cable
2) Vox VCC Curly Guitar Cable
Vox have recreated their vintage curly cable with the highest grade components which, combine the vintage look with the reliability of the modern guitar cable. The cable as a result produces sound of the highest quality. These Vox guitar cables are also available in a multitude of colors including black, blue, red and white.
Features of this Vox cable include:
- Comes with a mesh bag for storage
- Available in 5 colors (black, blue, red, white, silver)
- Gold plated jack connectors
- 1 straight jack end & 1 "L" shaped jack end
- 29.5 Foot long
3) Divine Noise Coiled Guitar Cable
This coiled guitar cable is made by a company called Divine Noise. And it is a high quality and well made cable at that. It has been designed for the touring musicians as it is able to withstand constant nights and days of long touring whilst still being able to produce a clean and clear signal with very little to no noise at all.
Features of this guitar cable include:
- Right angle jack & straight jack
- Color options (white, red, black, orange, purple, black)
- Hand soldered using the best quality solder
- For the touring musician as it can withstand a lot
4) Kirlin Curly Cable
Kirlin are the best budget cable brand at the moment as they make high quality cables which are very easy on the pocket. These curly cables by Kirlin come in a wide array of translucent colors. They are a combination of both awesome and eye catching.
Features of the Kirlin Curly Cable:
- Right angle & Straight jack connectors
- Color Options (options of green, red, purple, black)
- Clear PVC coating for extra strength
- Premium cable
4) Lava Curly Cable Retro
This is a very high quality cable that has been backed by both a very well known american guitar player name Reeves Gabriel. As well as the artist relation guy at Orange amos, Mr Alex Auxier. Both agree that the Lava coiled cable produces an exceptionally good sound and is on par, if not better than a regular straight guitar cable..
These features include:
- Made from literally almost 100% OFC conductors made from copper (low strad). This produces the good sound that comes from this cable.
- Tangle resistant
- 20 Ft
- Zero noise when plugging in your jack to guitar & amp.
- Color options include: Red, blue, orange, metallic green
5) Over-Sized Curly Guitar Cable - Bullet
THis guitar cable has massive curls compared to most other cable featured on our list. Some guitarists love the heavy feels of these curly cables whilst others prefer a lighter cable. Whatever your preference, it doesn't change the fact that these are still really well made cable from high quality components that will withstand constant use.
Features of this coiled cable by Bullet are:
- The larger curls mean the cable keeps its shape very well
- The cover of the cable has been specially designed to withstand the abuse that comes from being a gigging musician
- The high end (treble) of the sound is maintained as there is minimal signal loss
- L shaped jacl to Straight jack
- Comes in different colors: Seafoam Green, Transparent, Red, Black White
6) Peavey Curly Cable
Peavey has been a world leader is guitar amplification as well as general sound since its inception in the 60's. This cable encapsulates everything we've come to know and love about Peravey including its reliability as well as its classic and legendary will to live through anything and take a beating.
This Peavey coiled guitar cable has the following features:
- dense shielding within the peavey cable cancels unwanted noise & frequencies
- The curls have "memory" which means they will curl right back into place after being used even for a long time.
- L shape Jack to Straight jack
7) GLS Curly Guitar Cable
This GLS guitar cable is definitely for those looking for one of these curly cables on a budget without sacrificing the sound or quality. Whilst it could be argued that this cable is not of the quality of the others on the list, it still gets very good reviews for doing the job on a tight budget. Although it is a 20ft cable, that refers to the total length of cable. Expect a 10 ft cable. If you want a 20ft version, GLS has one here
Concluding Curly Guitar Cables
If you're looking for curly guitar cables, the list above are the only one's we've seen that we would recomend. If you believe there are other curly guitar cables out there that deserve to be featured on this list, give us a shout in the comments below.
If you enjoyed this list, check out our list of the best guitar amp stand.